Ever feel that your days are passing by without any tangible outputs to speak of?
What have you accomplished in the past 6 months?
What are the upcoming goals for the next 3 months?
Look at the things you did and the things you are planning to do next. In case you are still not having any, it’s time for you to start creating a list, where you list all the goals you want to achieve, dreams you want to fulfill and experiences you desire before another year arrives! Having this list reminds you of what’s important so you can act on them!
The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “A servant of God will remain standing on the Day of Judgment until he is questioned about his (time on earth) and how he used it; about his knowledge and how he utilized it; about his wealth and from where he acquired it and in what (activities) he spent it; and about his body and how he used it.” (Al-Tirmidhi)
- Spend one day with yourself to do self-reflection
- Review your intentions and goals of the year
- Take up that sport which you’ve always wanted to do
- Travel around the globe to explore the wonders of Allah
- Save up and plan your spiritual journey for umrah
- Recite al- Kahf at least once in a year on a Friday
He who recites Sura al – Kahf on yaumul Jumuah (Friday), Allah will shine a light for him between the two Fridays. (sahih al-Baihaqy)
- Pick up where you have left from your Ramadan resolutions
- Start dressing modestly
- Seek out for quaint halal eateries
- Pay zakat– fulfill your mandatory charity
- Khatam the Qur’an – try to read on the way to work or when you’re going to sleep
- Complete and work on your determinations – make it a remarkable outcome!
- Join classes and deepen your knowledge of your Deen
- Volunteer in a mosque or in any other humanitarian causes
- Go for mosque discovery retreat
- Pray qiyamullail at least once in your life – mark this year as the chosen year
- Give sadaqah; do not deny others who are in need
- Establish an Islamic culture at home, afterall home is your first school
- Cook extra for dinner and invite your Muslim neighbours over to develop silaturrahim
- Get through an Islamic video on youtube without pausing/ fastforwarding/ opening Facebook on a new tab
- Persevere and STOP procrastination!
The whole point of creating a list serves as a reminder to maximize every moment of our existence and realize our potential as a servant of God. We are working in an organized fashion to help promote a constructive way of life. Instead of squandering our time in pointless activities, we are directing it fully to what matters to us, insyaAllah.
Written by: Syara Rahmat, Editor “The Life Feed”